Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Recipe | Sweet Potato & Quinoa Salad


This is my first time cooking with quinoa, and this recipe turned out fantastic!

I came across this recipe just the other day, and since I had already had most of the ingredients at home, I decided to try it out.

This is a really simple recipe, and surprisingly super tasty. Since this was a new recipe for me, I decided to make a trial batch so I made half the amount listed in the recipe. I also did not have any balsamic vinegar, so I used red wine vinegar which worked well. The sweet potato stands up well a long with the crunch of the bell pepper and onion. This is a fresh and healthy meal, adding some chicken or steak to serve with it would make it even better. I will definitely make a bigger batch and pack some for lunch during the week.

This salad can be served warm or cold. Make this now!


Recipe from Stylish Cuisine

Ingredients
  • 2 1/2 cups cooked quinoa or 1 cup raw
  • 1 large or 2 medium (about 1 pound) sweet potatoes
  • Salt
  • 1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and diced
  • 1/4 cup minced red onion or shallot
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
  • 1/4 cup minced fresh chives or parsley leaves

Directions
  1. Cook quinoa with water.
  2. Peel and slice the sweet potato into bite size pieces, make sure they are the same size to ensure even cooking.
  3. Toss the quinoa, cooked sweet potato, bell pepper and onions together.
  4. Whisk the vinegar and olive oil, and pour onto the salad.
  5. Add salt and pepper to taste.
  6. Garnish with parsley.


No comments:

Post a Comment