Monday, February 17, 2014

Recipe | Waldorf Chicken Salad Sliders


I love chicken salad, but I hate mayonnaise. I have experimented with all sorts of jarred mayonnaise substitutes, and I think my favorite it some type of sour cream/yogurt mix. I actually even don't mind fresh mayonnaise. Luckily, I've found a great chicken salad recipe for those of us with a strong aversion to mayonnaise.
I don't always bake a chicken; but, when I do I make chicken salad with the leftovers.

I adapt a recipe from the Pioneer Woman, but my twist is to substitute Greek yogurt for the mayo, chop the chicken in very small cubes, kick up the cayenne pepper, use sweet yellow onions, and use King's Hawaiian rolls. I really think the finely chopped chicken prevents that dryness you get with store-bought, cotton-mouth chicken salad. The spice from the cayenne and yellow onions is a perfect complement to the sweetness of the grapes and Hawaiian rolls.



I'm not going to give exact amounts here because it's leftover chicken. All you have to do is make sure the proportions are the way you like it. 

Ingredients
  • Finely chopped leftover chicken
  • Chopped celery
  • Chopped yellow onion
  • Chopped grapes
  • Greek yogurt
  • Sour cream
  • Lemon juice
  • Brown sugar
  • Chopped Dill (dried or fresh)
  • Salt
  • Black pepper
  • Cayenne pepper
  • King's Hawaiian rolls

Directions
  1. Finely chop you leftover chicken.
  2. In relation to the chicken -- add a nearly equal amount of chopped celery, a fourth as much finely chopped onion, and a fourth as much chopped grapes.
  3. In a separate bowl prepare the dressing using equal parts Greek yogurt and sour cream, a few tablespoons of lemon juice, dill, salt, pepper, and cayenne to taste.
  4. In the dressing bowl, mix in a couple spoonfuls of brown sugar, and taste. (Do you like it? I like it a bit sweet and spicy.) Adjust if necessary.
  5. Mix in dressing with chopped ingredients.
  6. Laddle on to Hawaiian rolls.
  7. Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment