Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Yo Mama | Macaroni & Cheese


I love my mom and grandma's macaroni and cheese, and most everyone I know does too. In high school, I once tried to make myself and it came out horrible! I've never made it again for fear of what would come out of the oven. I figured it's time to try again. However, this time I did it under my mother's supervision. I apologize for my worse-than-usual picture quality, I only had my camera phone when I was in LA. It may not look like here, but you'll want to make a pan of it everyday if you can.

I guess I learned my lack measurements from my mother because she does everything by sight and I had to guess actual measurements. I'm sure you can use any kind of hollow pasta with any kind of crumbled or shredded cheese. My grandma used hollow spaghetti (bucatini) and sharp cheddar cheese. My mom uses whatever's in the kitchen. The following recipe is for a small casserole dish.

Ingredients
  • 400g hollow pasta
  • 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
  • 3/4 can of evaporated milk
  • 3tbp butter
  • White pepper, to taste

Directions
  1. Boil pasta in salted water until al dente
  2. Preheat oven to 375F degrees
  3. Lightly grease casserole dish
  4. Mix butter into drained pasta, then stir in shredded cheese
  5. Stir in evaporated milk*
  6. Use a spatula to scrape the mixing pot clean
  7. Cook for 30 minutes at 375F
*Grandmother's note: Mix in an egg too, if you prefer a stiffer casserole. 

According to my mom, the pre-cooked mix should look like prepared Kraft Macaroni & Cheese...



No comments:

Post a Comment