Friday, January 31, 2014

Double Duty | White Vinegar


I do not use white vinegar. I absolutely love all sorts of vinegar: balsamic, apple cider, rice wine, red wine, sherry, blood orange, etc. But, for some reason I can't handle the smell of white vinegar. It really makes me gag, especially now that cleaning companies are trying to be environmentally friendly, and use it in industrial cleaning. Since I've left California for cold-weather climes, I've been struggling with keeping leather boots for more than one winter season because of total salt destruction. The first pair of boots to go, were lovely pair of black leather boots that had the entire sole eaten away because of salt. I loved the boots, and paid $60 to have the soles replaced, but eventually realized the leather was cracking as well. I semi-retired them, and got a super cute pair of leather wedge booties this winter. On a stormy trip to NYC, they suffered from the same fate - puckered with white stains from salty slush. I wasn't giving up so easily on these boots, so I looked into trying to save them. Basically, all recommendations involved white vinegar (or lemon juice). I gave it a go by cleaning the salted areas with a mix of one part vinegar and three parts water. It absolutely did the trick! I cleaned them with the mixture, wiped them with a wet towel, and polished them -- now, they're almost like new. Joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment