Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Home Economics | Organics


I think the most asked question, when people find out what we do, is “Are organics worth it?” I always answer that if you think they’re worth then they’re worth it. (Full disclosure: The majority of our income is (directly and indirectly) from organic agriculture.) I never take much time to go into detail to avoid boring people to death, and I never want to start an argument with someone who is passionate one way or another. However, I have some time here to get a few of my ideas and opinions out in the open.

First, I’ll try to clarify what organic agriculture actually is. (I think that’s half the battle to understanding if organics are right for you.) So, I’ll start with some basic definitions:

Organic |Any compound that contains carbon.

Chemical | Matter that has constant composition and properties, which cannot be separated by breaking bonds (e.g. H2O is a common chemical).

Synthetic compounds |Non-natural compounds that are created by reaction of other compounds.

Organic agriculture | According to the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), the food or other agricultural product has been produced through approved methods that integrate cultural, biological, and mechanical practices that foster cycling of resources, promote ecological balance, and conserve biodiversity. Synthetic fertilizers, sewage sludge, irradiation, and genetic engineering may not be used. 

So, we can see that from just definitions surrounding organic agriculture, things just got a lot vaguer! And although sewage sludge is absolutely understandable – some of the other issues are a bit fuzzier, and may not have anything to do with health or nutrition, like ‘fostering the cycling of resources.’

In our household, the Old Man has a hernia every time he sees that I’ve bought organic leafy greens. He is very familiar with every recall of produce, which often includes organic leafy greens. His reasoning is that organic leafy greens are not permitted to be cleaned with bleach and other “chemicals” that kill contaminants, such as Salmonella and E. coli. Basically, if leafy greens aren’t decontaminated properly, they have to potential to food-borne pathogens they acquired pre-harvest (via contaminated water, manure, proximity to livestock operations, etc.). However, the Old Man recommends organic dairy products over organic produce; more for the ultra-pasteurization process and increased shelf-life than anything else.

Personally, I’m fairly convinced that (as of late) organic agriculture is purely marketing; along the lines of Cuties and Grapples. (And do Cuties count as genetically engineered? ‘E-Z peel’ and seedless surely aren’t naturally occurring traits.) Even considering the evils of conventional agriculture, the USDA and Food & Drug Administration (FDA) aren’t going to allow farmers and food processors to totally poison you; just to poison you a little bit. (Just kidding.)

The basis of my hypothesis for this organic marketing conclusion: Lobbying! Organic agriculture in America is still just that – Agriculture. I always point people to the page on the National List of Allowed and Prohibited Substances in the USDA Organics Programs. My point is that all the substances that are allowed in organic production were lobbied to be allowed – plain and simple. The permitted substances were not approved by physicians or scientists, but by farmers and politicians. Why is potassium silicate okay, but potassium chloride isn’t? Who knows.

Ultimately, as an economist, I couldn’t care less about the health and spiritual benefits of organics. I do care about the benefits and costs of organics to a household though. So, that’s why I say if it’s worth it to you, and if you can afford it, go for it. I can’t argue with you on the perceived benefits of organics, but the cost is apparent to all. I don’t buy organic leafy greens against the Old Man’s will because I am avidly pro-organic, but because I’m avidly pro-recycling, and believe it’s easier to recycle the plastic container than a soggy plastic produce bag. (For the record – I have tried loose, bag-less greens, but the people at the checkout act like their handling wet, dirty underwear and give me even dirtier looks.)

In the future, I think I’ll follow this up in more detail on the following subjects related to organic agriculture:
  • Synthetic fertilizers
  • Irradiation
  • Genetic Engineering
  • Pesticides 

References
  1. http://www.misa.umn.edu/Search_and_Ask/FAQ/OrganicVegetableSafety/index.htm 
  2. http://www.ams.usda.gov/AMSv1.0/NOP
  3. http://www.ers.usda.gov/topics/natural-resources-environment/organic-agriculture.aspx

No comments:

Post a Comment