Friday, May 4, 2012

Home Economics | Coupons


I was watching the new season of Mad Men and it made me realize that coupons are pure marketing. Something I absolutely don't need is 2 for 22¢ - sounds catchy, Peggy, but no thanks. Personally, I don't go out of my way to look for coupons because it's not worth my time. And I have a low paying graduate fellowship, so that should tell you something about the value of my time. I enjoy discounts, but coupons don't do it for me.

More importantly, fresh grocery items don't need coupons because they're perishable. You can always find a deal in the fresh produce section or at the butcher counter because those tomatoes and that steak aren't going to stay pretty for long. I've bought meat before where the butcher has looked me dead in the eye and sternly told me to cook the meat that same day. Great price, no coupons! If you stick to what you know you should be eating, you can get considerable discounts without the hassle of coupons. And you won't have to wonder how 10 boxes of cheese doodles for $10 made you gain 10 pounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment