Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Product Review | Kombucha Drink


A friend of mine was talking about Kombucha. She mentioned how one of her clients gave her a bottle, and that she has felt a difference in her digestion and "system" after a few bottles.  A year or two ago, it was the hip trendy drink in Los Angeles.

Kombucha is a yeast culture that grows in black tea, almost like a mushroom. (Growing up, i remember getting a nasty looking this as good luck/ chain letter thing, it was really weird; I would have to pour black tea in it every so often, it stunk and was really gross. But, apparently I was brewing my own Kombucha! strange.)

I was at the grocery store today, and saw the Kombucha drink on sale, so I decided to try it: GT's Enlightened Organic Raw Kombucha Drink: Citrus.... 

There are brown strands that float around, similar to the the stuff at the bottom of organic apple cider vinegar.  I opened up the bottle and it bubbled up, took a sip and it tasted sort of like beer. It was not that bad. It does have a vinegary/ fermented taste, sounds unappetizing, but refreshing.

I did a little research, and there is a lot of good and  confusing articles on Kombucha and its benefits/ health claims.

Kombucha is known to have a ton of active cultures that aid in digestion. This article I read on MSNBC, calls it the new "yogurt" due to all the live bacteria and cultures found in it. After this bottle. I didn't feel any more 'balanced', so I'm not hopping on this trend.

Trendy fizzy drink is mushrooming: Kombucha fans claim it gives energy, aids digestion

 



No comments:

Post a Comment