Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Restuarant Replica | Shabu Shabu



Dish | Shabu shabu
Restaurant | Shin-Sen-Gumi
Location | 1695 W. Artesia Blvd.  Gardena, CA

I miss all-you-can-eat shabu shabu in Japan. I miss all-you-can-eat anything in Japan. I miss eating in Japan. Boo hoo. Anyhow, if you can find the sliced meat for shabu shabu it's one of the easiest meals you can make. The hardest part is slicing the veggies. Unfortunately, there weren't a lot of interesting vegetable choices at the market because of the season. I really wanted corn but couldn't find it anywhere.


 

I don't have a table burner, so I has to improvise with the meat situation. While cooking the veggies and tofu on the stove I let the meat thaw. I brought the pot of veggies to the table and cooked and ate the pork first. We took our time with the beef because there's a lesser chance of brain worm. Surprisingly, the water stayed pretty hot the entire time we ate.


To me, the whole point of shabu shabu is the sauce. Ponzu sauce (left) is for the veggies and sesame sauce (right) is for the meat. I love them both and I use them for other other things, especially dressings. You can add ichimi togarashi to the sauces, if you like a little spice.

 

Ingredients
  • 2 pieces of wakame seaweed
  • Vegetables (Napa cabbage, baby bok choy, corn, carrots, zucchini, small squash, enoki mushrooms, green onion, chrysanthemum leaves, etc.)
  • Tofu
  • Sliced pork and/or sliced beef
  • Ponzu sauce
  • Sesame sauce (goma-shabu)
  • Ichimi togarashi
  • Rice, ramen, or udon
  • Salt, to taste

Directions
  1. Add wakame seaweed to the pot of water and bring to a boil.
  2. Remove wakame and add a little salt before adding vegetables. 
  3. On the stove, cook vegetables according to what will take the longest to cook (i.e. pumpkin and carrots, then mushrooms and cabbage, then tofu).
  4. Bring pot of vegetables to the table and shabu (swish) the meat in the hot water until cooked.
  5. Serve with steamed rice and dipping sauces.
  6. If you chose ramen or udon instead of rice, cook in the yummy broth left over after meat has been cooked.




No comments:

Post a Comment