Monday, April 2, 2012

Product Review | Magic Bullet


 I would take a bullet for my Magic Bullet! Okay, no, I wouldn't - but maybe a BB. 

I generally do not believe in kitchen appliances. I don't own a microwave. I don't own a hand mixer. I don't own a crock pot. Although, there's a small coffee maker and a George Foreman grill belonging to the Old Man that he never uses. And I may give into a meat grinder with a sausage attachment to make my own sausage. (I love hot dogs!) Anyhow, I really enjoy owning a Magic Bullet.

I don't buy salad dressing anymore. None. Never. I make it all with the Magic Bullet. If I want a certain kind of dressing in the grocery store, I look at the ingredients on a  bottle or find a recipe and make it at home in the Magic Bullet. Ranch, blue cheese, Greek, creamy balsamic, Cesar, ginger carrot - anything goes.  

I do sometimes worry about the lack of preservatives because I've kept some dressings in the fridge for nearly a month. So far, I haven't had any problems. Many of the dressings I make are vinegar-based or citrus-based, so maybe the high acid content keeps the nasties away. 

I'm slowly learning that I may want to invest in onion powder, for the rare occasion I don't have onion on hand or too lazy to cut any. Crushed garlic and anchovy filets, both in a jar, have come in handy for the same reasons. The same goes with dried herbs.

Here's a recipe for my favorite dressing for arugula or baby spinach.

Ingredients
  • 1 big tablespoon of Dijon mustard
  • 2 or 3 anchovy filets
  • 1 big clove of garlic, chopped
  • 1/2 cup lemon juice
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • Salt
  • Pepper

Directions
  1. Throw ingredients in Magic Bullet
  2. Pulse until anchovies disappear, then blend smooth
  3. Refrigerate 

If you like your dressing thicker, add more olive oil. If you like your dressing thinner, add more lemon juice.


Note: I don't own measuring cups either and do everything I make to taste. I figure if I'm eyeballing it in the correct proportions it doesn't matter if it's not exactly the same quantity as the recipe. So, you'll have to get used to the fact that a lot of my recipes don't have strict quantities.

One downside to the magic bullet is that I wish the boxed set had more lids. I try wash the blades as soon as possible and not use them as lids, so it would be nice to keep the dressing in the magic bullet cup and cover it lid. I think it comes with two, but I threw one away because I left it in the fridge for a long while and was afraid to open the fermented concoction it was protecting. Another issue is now that I've had it for almost five years, I notice the blade is leaking a bit. It's not too messy now, but I feel like it could get messy one day soon. I should probably look into fixing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment